This is a time when I am restricted from a lot of the things I feel my heart must do. The things I love or the things I hope to some day experience have to be put on hold due to social distancing and the recommendation to stay home as much as possible. In some ways, nothing’s changed in this regard too much…quarantine or not, my job would keep me away from my wanderlust anyway, at least until summer.
To keep my heart entertained, I’ve started a list things I feel I must do when the opportunity comes once again. This is not an exhausted list. As long as the quarantine lasts, I will come back and add to it. It’s a dreamy catalog of happiness sought and joy remembered…continued from all the heart-musts I hope to do—some never done before, some hopefully repeated. There really are no rules….just the things God has put on my heart to someday experience with wonder. I thank Him for that.
- Gaze at the stars from the summit of a mountain
- Attend an outdoor concert while sitting on the lawn
- Watch a sudden downpour of heavy rain from the inside of a car
- Share an evening with the fireflies
- Drive from the the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean
- Sing along at a dueling piano bar (I have a terrible voice, but what does it matter?)
- Drink a huge cafe mocha at Red House Cafe in Pacific Grove on a foggy coastal morning (in a real mug or whatever they call it)
- See the northern lights—will this ever happen?
- Return to the Isle of Skye
- Visit the New York Public Library
Will I really do these things? Or see some of these things again? I hope so. So far, the northern lights and fireflies have been elusive…I must be looking in all the wrong places. But in the meantime, it’s nice to dream.
What are some of your heart-musts?